Paul R. Hensel
Professor of Political Science
University of North Texas
Phone: (940) 369-7330
Fax: (940) 565-4818
Spring 2014 Teaching:
- PSCI 3810/002: "Introduction to International Relations" (MWF 9-9:50, 010 Business Leadership Bldg)
- PSCI 4820/002: "Geography, History, and International Relations" (MWF 1-1:50, 110 Wooten Hall)
- Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 11 AM-Noon, Fridays 10-11 AM
- I will not be teaching any summer classes, although I should be around town for much of the summer.
Fall 2014 Teaching (tentative):
- PSCI 3810: "Introduction to International Relations" (time and place TBA)
- PSCI 4820: "Geography, History, and International Relations" (time and place TBA)
Spring 2015 Teaching (tentative):
- PSCI 4821: "International Conflict" (time and place TBA)
- PSCI 5820: "International Conflict" [graduate-level] (time and place TBA)
My Research and Teaching
- Curriculum Vitae
- Issue Correlates of War (ICOW) Project
- Undergraduate courses:
- Graduate courses:
- Grading Policies and Expectations
- Writing Tips
Political Science and Reference Pages
- Political Science
- Government and Politics: United States and other countries
- International Conflict and Security
- International Law
- International Organizations
- International Political Economy
- Political Methodology
- Specific research topics:
- International Relations Data
- Online News Sources (news wires/headlines, other newspaper compilations)
- General Reference (dictionaries, encyclopedias, book searches, travel, etc.)
Teaching: Added the details for my Spring 2014 teaching schedule, and my tentative teaching plans for the 2014-2015 academic year. Also corrected the course numbers for the graduate Conflict and Contexts seminars (both of which now have their own numbers) and for undergraduate research methods (which I listed incorrectly a number of years ago when I first moved to UNT).
My Research: Added a link to the forthcoming Nemeth/Mitchell/Nyman/Hensel II article on the management of maritime issues, forthcoming Hensel/Mitchell JPR article on best practices in data collection, 2013 Macaulay/Hensel PSSI poster on natural resources and territorial conflict, and my 2013 Budapest paper on identifying the most dangerous territorial claims. Updated my online CV for the first time in a while. Among other things, I added links to the 2013 Hensel/Fattore/Allison ISA paper on trade after territorial claims, the 2012 Brochmann/Hensel/Tir ISA paper on treaties and the management of international rivers, my 2011 ISA/EPSA paper on territorial claims and conflict between neighbors, and the various data sets that I have created and released publicly.
My Data: Released the first full version of the ICOW Territorial Claims data set for the entire world, 1816-2001, and an updated version of the ICOW Historical State names data set (December 2013). Updated the ICOW territorial claims and river claims coding manuals (December 2013). Added links to the new ICOW Facebook page from all ICOW-related pages on this site. Coming soon (Spring 2014): updated versions of ICOW Colonial History, MTOPS, and Territorial/River/Maritime Claims data sets.
Other: Updated much of site, particularly the newspaper pages (Dec. 2013-Jan. 2014); added printer-friendly stylesheet to each page (April 2013). Coming soon (Spring 2014): reorganize site, combining some of the poli sci pages and some of the online resources included on my course syllabus pages.