Paul R. Hensel
Professor of Political Science
University of North Texas
Phone: (940) 369-7330
Fax: (940) 565-4818
Spring 2014 Teaching:
- PSCI 3810/002: "Introduction to International Relations" (MWF 9-9:50, 010 Business Leadership Bldg)
- PSCI 4820/002: "Geography, History, and International Relations" (MWF 1-1:50, 110 Wooten Hall)
- Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 11 AM-Noon, Fridays 10-11 AM
- I will not be teaching any summer classes, although I should be around town for much of the summer.
Fall 2014 Teaching:
- PSCI 4820/002: "Geography, History, and International Relations" (MWF 12-12:50 PM, 250 BLB)
- PSCI 4821/001: "International Conflict" (MWF 10-10:50 PM, 245 BLB)
- Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 9-10 AM, Fridays 1-2 PM
Spring 2015 Teaching (tentative):
- PSCI 3810: "Introduction to International Relations" (time and place TBA)
- PSCI 5820: "International Conflict" [graduate-level] (time and place TBA)
- Office Hours: TBA
My Research and Teaching
- Curriculum Vitae
- Issue Correlates of War (ICOW) Project
- Undergraduate courses:
- Graduate courses:
- Grading Policies and Expectations
- Writing Tips
Political Science and Reference Pages
- Political Science
- Government and Politics: United States and other countries
- International Conflict and Security
- International Law
- International Organizations
- International Political Economy
- Political Methodology
- Specific research topics:
- International Relations Data
- Online News Sources (news wires/headlines, other newspaper compilations)
- General Reference (dictionaries, encyclopedias, book searches, travel, etc.)
Teaching: Added the details for my Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 teaching schedules.
My Research: Added a link to the forthcoming Nemeth/Mitchell/Nyman/Hensel II article on the management of maritime issues, forthcoming Hensel/Mitchell JPR article on best practices in data collection, 2014 Macaulay/Hensel ISA paper and 2013 PSSI poster on natural resources and territorial conflict, and my 2013 Budapest paper on identifying the most dangerous territorial claims. Updated my online CV for the first time in a while. Among other things, I added links to the 2013 Hensel/Fattore/Allison ISA paper on trade after territorial claims, the 2012 Brochmann/Hensel/Tir ISA paper on treaties and the management of international rivers, my 2011 ISA/EPSA paper on territorial claims and conflict between neighbors, and the various data sets that I have created and released publicly.
My Data: Released version 1.01 of the ICOW Territorial Claims data set for the entire world, 1816-2001 (March 2014); version 1.0 of the ICOW International River Basins data set; and an updated version of the ICOW Historical State names data set (December 2013). Updated the ICOW territorial claims and river claims coding manuals (December 2013). Added links to the new ICOW Facebook page from all ICOW-related pages on this site, and added links to the COW interstate system membership list on all ICOW data pages (after getting several questions from users about how to interpret the country codes in our data). Coming soon (likely late spring of 2014): initial release of the ICOW International Rivers data set and updated versions of the ICOW Colonial History, MTOPS, and Territorial/River/Maritime Claims data sets.
Other: Updated much of site, particularly the newspaper pages (Dec. 2013-Jan. 2014); added printer-friendly stylesheet to each page (April 2013). Coming soon (Spring 2014): reorganize site, combining some of the poli sci pages and some of the online resources included on my course syllabus pages.